List of Courses Offered by ALL Colleges Health Technology -

Updates and Guides on Schools, Jobs, Academic Programmes, and Admissions.

List of Courses Offered by ALL Colleges Health Technology

While seeking admission into colleges of health technology, you can go through JAMB for some courses and colleges. You may also pick on a course and a college that won't require JAMB.

Colleges of Health Technology, truly, have courses or academic programmes that are different from what you will have with universities, polytechnics and schools/colleges of Nursing.

In this post, I will be enlisting some of these courses. Your proposed school should have a few, among these, that it is offering.

Courses/Programmes That Are Offered at Colleges of Health Technology

  1. Community Health Extension Workers
  2. Junior Community Extension Workers
  3. Dental Surgery Technician
  4. Dental Therapy
  5. Environmental Health Technology
  6. Environmental Technician
  7. Health Assistants
  8. Health Technician
  9. Health Education & Promotions
  10. Medical Laboratory Technician
  11. Health Information Management
  12. Professional Diploma Health Information Management
  13. Pharmacy Technician
  14. Environmental Health Technician
  15. National Diploma Community Health
  16. Dental Health Technology
  17. Health Information Management
  18. Dental Surgery Technician
  19. Environmental Health Assistant
  20. Health Information Technician
  21. Health Information Management
  22. Medical Laboratory Assistant
  23. Public Health Nursing
  24. Biomedical Engineering Technology
  25. Orthopaedic Cast Technician
  26. Hospitality Management
  27. Prosthetics-Orthotics Technician
  28. X-RAY Technician
  29. Community Nutrition Technician
  30. Nutrition And Dietetics
  31. Social Development
  32. Morbid and Funeral Technology
  33. Phlebotomy Technician
  34. Complementary Health Sciences
  35. Food Hygiene
  36. Medical Imaging Technology

Some Colleges' Courses Are Offered On Certificate and Diploma Only

Colleges of health, like the polytechnics, usually offer both National Diplomas (ND) and Higher National Diplomas (HND) in some of their programmes. However, for the former, a few courses are just certificated courses. In other words, the certificates for the courses will only read "Certificate in..." instead of "ND or HND in...". 

Similarly, some courses will just be "diploma in ..." instead the national or higher national. See the Differences Between Diploma and the National/Advanced Diploma (ND).

Most colleges' courses, especially running for 1, or 3 years, are usually certificate or diploma programmes. 

For example, when you're done with a health assistant, health technician, X-RAY technician, Dental Health technology etc., your certificate may simply read "certificate in health assistant", "certificate in health technician" etc. Whereas for some courses, it will be a National Diploma/Higher National Diploma in those programmes.

At the Oyo State College of Health, like any other college of health, Diploma For Health Technicians is a three-year programme leading to the award "Diploma For Health Technicians".

The Lagos State College of Health Technology similarly awards Technician Certificate in Medical Laboratory, Technician Certificate in Phlebotomy, and Certificate in Morbid Sciences, among others.

RecommendedShould I Go For Basic Midwifery Instead of Nursing?

A Course Chosen in UTME/Admitted Into Through JAMB Will Usually Be National Diploma (ND)

Especially if you've chosen a college of health through JAMB UTME, your proposed course, when completed, will award you the National Diploma (ND) in that programme.

Some well-known colleges of health have partnered with JAMB to offer admission seekers certain courses (not for all their courses though). With that, the candidates will be admitted not directly but through JAMB UTME.

All National Diploma courses will be run for two years just like any other polytechnics/colleges offering courses leading to National Diploma.

When done, you bag ND and can proceed to the HND programme in the same college or another and eventually and consequently will be able to serve at NYSC.

Very popular courses, usually run by colleges of health, leading to the award of the National Diploma (ND) are Health Information Management, Environmental Health Technology, Medical Imaging Technology, Biomedical Engineering Technology, Nutrition And Dietetics etc.

And of course, a college awarding National Diploma in its courses will state that in the advertisement for the sale of its forms.

For example, the College of Health Offa Kwara State specifically stated in its advert that any applicant who will be applying for Environmental Health Technician, National Diploma Community Health, Dental Health Technology, Dental Therapy and National Diploma Health Information Management should obtain the JAMB form and select the college in it or change to it.

    ND Courses Can Be Used For HND or Direct Entry

    For any course leading to the award of a National Diploma (ND) or through JAMB, you can: 

    1. proceed to the same college or another to run your HND, or
    2. cross to university through Direct Entry (DE) admission to run the same or similar course (on the degree), and of course
    3. obtain both HND and DE forms together

    It's important to note that not all courses offered by colleges of health technology can help students to cross universities. Courses such as Community Health Extension Worker (CHEW), Health assistant, and health technician, especially if it's just a certificate/diploma programme (i.e. not National Diploma) won't help you to seek direct entry admission.

    Hence, the end of such a programme is when you're done, you can use it to work as you're qualified to.

    RecommendedMust I Study JCHEW Before CHEW - Which is Better?

    Some ND Courses May Still Be Offered With ND But not Through JAMB

    There are colleges that are still not under the ambit of the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB). Such as colleges can still award National Diploma in a course if it aims to strictly offer its ND candidates HND admissions.

    These set of students may not be able to run their HND programme at any other college of health. And if they will be able to cross to another college or university, through direct entry, they may be subjected to JAMB regularization before that will be possible.

    Similarly, if a college is not under JAMB for its ND and produces graduates through HND, it will require the same JAMB regularization to be able to mobilize its graduates for the Youth Service (NYSC).

    Admission Requirements for Colleges Health Technology and Their Programmes

    Generally, all programmes at any college of health will require SSCE. The acceptable O'level result will include English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. 

    These 5 subjects required for any of the college's programmes may come from WAEC, NECO, GCE, NABTEB or a combination of any or specific two.

    Some schools may waive one or two of these subjects by accepting another in place. For example, the College of Health Science And Technology Ijero Ekiti, for all of its courses accept five credit passes in WASC, NECO, NABTEB or equivalent at not more than two sittings in relevant subjects from English Language, Biology/Agric. Science, Mathematics, Economics, Physics, Chemistry, and Geography.

    Such cases are rear though. Most colleges will prefer English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. If a school will not need the five subjects, that will be clearly stated in its advertisement for the sale of the form.

    For the Higher National Diploma (HND) or similar advanced and professional programmes, you will need both the SSCE result and your National Diploma (ND) and any existing related certifications.

    For example, the Oyo State College of Health's HND in Public Health Nursing requires applicants to possess, in addition to the SSCE result, the (i) Registered Nursing (RN) certificate. (ii) BNSc candidates from Universities accredited by the National Universities Commission (NUC), the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria or (iii) BNSc candidates from Universities outside Nigeria with evidence of verification of certificates and license by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria


    Colleges of health technology, generally, have several courses (certificate, diploma, and professional). Each of these courses may demand different entry requirements but SSCE is central to all. While some are run only for 1 year, others may take between 2 to 4 years.

    If you must make a choice, the best approach is to visit the proposed college's admission portal, read the admission advert, and check through their courses and the requirements.

    It's also wise to know, forearmed, the number of years, it will take to complete your programme of choice.

    NEED a guide, update, or answer on something? You can spend just #500 to get professional answers and guides. Click here to request Mr. Techie's INSTANT REPLY

    HELP SOMEONE:  People would appreciate it if you could just share this post with them on FacebookTwitterWhatsApp, etc. Use the share icons below for your convenience.

    Best Related Posts

    1. Will I Go to NYSC After School of Nursing?
    2. OAU SHIM Post UTME (ND)/HND Form: Cut-Off Mark, Price and Closing Date
    3. Can I Study MLS with ND/HND SLT Through Direct Entry (DE)?
    4. Institutions Accepting Two Results For Admissions
    5. Schools/Colleges of Health Information Management in Nigeria

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Just type your comment and post it. It will not appear until it is checked by admins. Check back to see your comment live.

    If you want an immediate reply, you can request a reply @ #1000 through WhatsApp only at (08065152292). No call, please!

    Techie BEC Konsult 7:54 PM (0 minutes ago) to me