Can CHEW, Health Assistant, Do Direct Entry For Nursing, etc.? -

Can CHEW, Health Assistant, Do Direct Entry For Nursing, etc.?

Students are lately going for the Community Health Extension Workers program at various colleges of health because they want to cross later into Nursing, Medicine, Pharmacy, etc.

Similar courses being chased to colleges of health include health assistant, environmental technology, laboratory technology, etc.

This category of admission seekers is aware that it's possible to cross from the College of Health to the university. What they're yet to know is if it's possible to use their CHEW, JCHEW, Health Assistant, Environmental or Laboratory Technology certificates, results or qualifications to obtain a Direct Entry form and cross to a university and especially for Nursing Science, Medicine, Medical Laboratory Technology, Pharmacy, Biomedical Technology etc.

In this post, I will be opening your eyes to a few misconceptions about direct entry admissions for Nursing, Medicine and related health/medical courses with your certificate or qualifications from colleges of health and technology. Some related issues will also be addressed to bless others.

RecommendedCan I Study Nursing In University with Auxiliary Nurse Certificate?

Understanding the Basics of Community Health Extension Workers and Similar Programs at Colleges of Health

Community Health Extension Workers (CHEW) are generally recognized as healthcare educators, providing vital education about the available healthcare options.  A variety of community health workers (CHWs) provide maternal and newborn health (MNH) services in low-income and middle-income communities.

At any college of health offering this course, there are two types of community health courses

  1. the Junior Community Health Extension Workers (JCHEW)
  2. Community Health Extension Workers (CHEW)

While the CHEW is also called Senior CHEW, the JCHEW is the Junior CHEW.

A Healthcare Assistant or HCA cares for patients in a hospital, residential care facility, or at a patient's home. Their duties include assisting patients with daily activities, checking vital signs, and assisting nursing staff when necessary.

Environmental Technicians typically work under the direction of environmental scientists. They monitor the environment and investigate sources of pollution by performing laboratory and field tests.

RecommendedAfter Studying Health Assistant, What Next? Career, Salary, etc.

A Laboratory Technician is a person who performs practical hands-on work in laboratories. Lab techs work in diverse settings which include health care, industry, research, and educational institutions. Lab techs may work in a wide variety of fields such as medicine, biology, chemistry, electronics, geology, and the environment. In this document, it is assumed that a lab tech works predominately indoors in a traditional laboratory setting.

NOTE: I only picked a few of the courses being offered at colleges of health here. There are still others not mentioned above which may be yours. The benchmark for all these courses is that some are not offered through JAMB. Students will just obtain the direct forms and they are offered admission. If you run any of the courses above, with an admission offer from JAMB, it means, you won't have the same problem as those that were not through JAMB.

If your own course/admission was given through JAMB, a section below will address your situation too.

Courses that are usually offered by colleges of health through JAMB UTME may include:

  1. National Diploma In Health Information Management
  2. Dental Nursing
  3. Nutrition And Dietetics
  4. Dental Therapy
  5. Environmental Health Technology
  6. Medical Imaging Technology
  7. Biomedical Engineering Technology
  8. Orthopedic Cast Technology
  9. Social Development
  10. Dental Technology

Can Any of JCHEW, CHEW, Laboratory Technician, Environmental Technician, or Health Assistant Obtain Direct Entry Admission?

We have to start this from the basics. The primary thing that makes Direct Entry admission possible is the JAMB registration number. Each prospective DE admission seeker will be asked to provide his or her JAMB registration number at the point of registering for DE.

Whereas, in most cases, JCHEW, CHEW, and similar programs courses are being offered by the colleges of health without the use of JAMB.

The button line is that if you're a through-JAMB candidate, it doesn't matter your course, you're consequently qualified for DE. However, candidates without JAMB will need to take other steps to be qualified, if it will possibly work

If you're a JCHEW or CHEW you should know that. Don't you?

Is there no way to do Direct entry without the JAMB Registration number?

Yes, there is!

That's the good news. And that takes us to the next section of this topic.

RecommendedList of Courses/Programmes Offered by Colleges of Nursing

You Can Do JAMB Regularization To Get a JAMB Registration Number. Then, Use that for DE

It's actually not possible to do DE without the JAMB registration number. But there is a way to get a JAMB registration number before proceeding to DE. This medium is called the JAMB regularization.

JAMB Regularization for Direct Entry is a process/exercise the board puts in place to correct and put in good order, admissions that were offered to candidates through back-doors, illegal mediums, or containing some errors and inadequacies.

And if JAMB regularization won't be immediately possible, and to meet up with DE registration, you can follow the guide, "Register DE Without JAMB Number/Regularization Approval".

However, there is a concern for the JCHEW and CHEW holders trying to do JAMB regularization. These candidates will need to know if their school will approve their indemnity forms, and sign and send them to JAMB before they can proceed with the regularization or DE applications in the first place.

RecommendedCosts of Pursuing a Nursing School or Degree in Nigeria

In other words, not all schools or colleges of health do approve regularization for their JCHEW/CHEW or any other course for that matter.

If you confirm from your school, and they guarantee that you should go ahead with the regularization application, after the submission, a printout (called the indemnity form) will be submitted to your school for signing, stamping, and forwarding to the nearest JAMB office.

After this, if the regularization is approved by JAMB, an email will be sent to you for approval from the board and a JAMB registration number will be given to you. This, in turn, can be used to do Direct entry admission.

RecommendedWill I Go To NYSC After my National Diploma (ND)?

If Holders of JCHEW/CHEW and Others Can Do Direct Entry, Will That Work For Nursing, Medicine, etc.?

If there is any course in the heart of a JCHEW/CHEW trying to cross to a university through DE, it will be Nursing a million times. Other colleges of health students with similar courses may aim differently though.

Nothing is wrong with that but this goal seems unrealizable from my experience.

Let me explain.

Checking through the universities offering Nursing in Nigeria and their Direct Entry requirements, there is none, openly stating, through the official JAMB brochure, it's accepting JCHEW/CHEW, health assistants, laboratory or environmental technicians, or the like for its degree in Nursing.

Generally, all universities offering Nursing accept:

  1. 'A' Level passes in any two (2) of Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics
  2. ND/HND Upper Credit in Prosthesis and Orthopaedic Technology.
  3. Two (2) 'A' Level passes in Biology/Zoology, Chemistry, and Physics plus three (3) other 'O' Level credit passes in Mathematics, Physics, and English Language.
  4. NRN or its approved equivalent plus five (5) 'O' Level credit passes  in English Language and four (4) Science subjects chosen from Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Human Anatomy, Physiology and Hygiene, Health Science, Further Mathematics, and General Science
  5. Some universities, apart from the above, also accept "First degree in health-related courses".

The "First degree in health-related courses" implies a university certificate (BSC/B.TECH etc.) in health courses such as Biochemistry, Microbiology, Medical Laboratory Science, etc.

In fact, the University of Ibadan is very specific, stating, Biochemistry, Anatomy, Human Physiology, Health Education, Psychology, Guidance and Counselling.

In case, you want to feed yourself with references too, you can take a moment to check the official JAMB brochure and prove me wrong. Let me know in the comment section, after going through the brochure, if you find any university accepting JCHEW/CHEW, etc. for DE in Nursing.

RecommendedList of Schools Offering Nursing On a Part-Time Basis

So, What Course Can a J/CHEW, Health Assistant, etc Do at University?

As a matter of fact, crossing to a university with your J/CHEW or Health Assistant and like Certificate is very daunting.  

However, as earlier stated, if you're able to cross the hurdle of getting the JAMB registration number, through the JAMB regularization, my advice is for you to try some very less competitive health-related courses other than Nursing and the like.

For example, Public Health though requires the same qualifications just as Nursing, is still not as competitive. If the university proposed, doesn't have enough mainly-qualified candidates to fill available spaces, you may be lucky.

Another related course is Environmental Science. If you won't mind this, you can give it a try as less competition, compared to Nursing, Medicine, Pharmacy, etc. may favor you.

RecommendedWho Are Qualified Or Not Qualified To Serve at NYSC?


If you hold a certificate from the College of Health, without JAMB, your best take is to go for the advanced course in the same or another college e.g. HND in the same course. If you gain admission through JAMB, you're not likely a JCHEW/CHEW, health assistant environmental technician. With your own qualification, you'll have OND, e.g. in Health Information Management, which is directly acceptable for Direct Entry in the same course or related. And such related courses may not even be Nursing, Pharmacy, Medicine, and the like.

If you belong to the former category and insist on crossing to a university, do JAMB regularization, if you can, and pursue a very less competitive but related course as you may be lucky in the end.

NEED a guide, update, or answer on something? You can spend just #1000 to get professional answers and guides. Click here to request Mr. Techie's INSTANT REPLY

HELP SOMEONE:  People would appreciate it if you shared this post with them on FacebookTwitterWhatsApp, etc. Use the share icons below for your convenience.

Best Related Posts

  1. Must I Sit For UTME If I Want To Convert UTME To DE?
  2. How Many Years To Study Nursing in Nigeria
  3. Will I Go to NYSC After School of Nursing?
  4. What is the Age Limit for the Schools of Nursing
  5. Are Polytechnics Offering Law, Medicine, Nursing, Microbiology etc?
  6. Military Universities, Polytechnics, and Colleges in Nigeria
  7. Can I Work As a Nurse After ND in Nursing?
  8. Studying Physiology in Nigeria: Careers and Opportunities
  9. Difference Between JCHEW and CHEW in School/Work
  10. How to Contact JAMB Regards Regularization Issues


  1. Good day Sir, pls, can I convert CHEW to NURSING?

    1. No, as you can see in the post above. Take a few minutes to read.

  2. God day sir, please I want to do nursing, should I go to College of health or school of nursing which one is better

    1. Go to School or college of Nursing. Colleges of health don't do Nursing. See more differences between the two through the link below.

  3. Sir Can CHw with lower credit in School exam and pass in National exam enroll for Bsc Public health ??

    1. Yes with your jamp regularization number

  4. Please am an art student can I switch to sciece and sit for waec???I want to go for it possible???

    1. Yes, you can switch to science from art. But you need to read the post below to get better clues on how to go about this.

  5. Hi sir can I study BSC in nursing in the university with my nd in health assistance and hnd in health techncian certificate without jamb

  6. Can someone change from chew to nursing through direct entry in university

  7. So I can't apply for direct entry in nursing as chew?

  8. Orimoloye Tolulope17 April 2023 at 09:35

    I read chew,can I go to university to read nursing,if yes how many years will it take me.pls

  9. Good day sir, i did Jchew and now enrolling for jupeb as direct entry for nursing, can i attach the two together to study nursing?

    1. Pls how can I apply for jupeb

  10. Can I go for HND from chew and get DE into school of nursing after Jamb regularisation

  11. As a senior chew can I do direct entry to university to study nursing

    1. No you can't
      Visit the post for more inform

  12. Can I use jchew certificate to do direct entry into any university

  13. How do I get the jamb regulation number as a chew that wants direct entry to nursing or public health

  14. As a diploma in health technician can I get direct entry in to university

  15. Sir answer me pls, i study jchew may i do direct entry in to university

  16. Must I study jchew before Chew?

  17. Pls sir how good is paramedics as a course.

  18. Good day I did chew in college of health can I do in psychology in university

  19. Please I studied environmental health technology in Anambra state college of health,Is it possible I pick a direct entry from to study nursing in the university.please I need answer.


Just type your comment and post it. It will not appear until it is checked by admins. Check back to see your comment live.

If you want an immediate reply, you can request a reply @ #1000 through WhatsApp only at (08065152292). No call, please!

Techie BEC Konsult 7:54 PM (0 minutes ago) to me