Will I Go for NYSC After College of Health? See Answer - School Contents

Updates and Guides on Schools, jobs, Academic programmes and Admissions.

Will I Go for NYSC After College of Health? See Answer

The Youth Corps

If you read my recent post, you will notice that this is an incremental explanation on the same topic. I told you a short story of a lady who would prefer a college of technology to a Nursing School if she wouldn’t go for NYSC?

Here is what I thought about the poor lady.

She must have been told by a brother, sister, teacher or friend that, if she went for a school of the nursing programme, she wouldn’t serve.

This is because she talked frankly as if she knew everything about this. Hence, she was confident that if I should say the same, College of Nursing is a no-go place for her.

Well, I told her it was true. She should rather go for the college of health if NYSC is a must for her except she could afford to go the long way.

Meanwhile, she didn’t know it all until I explained further. Below is what you need to know about colleges of health and going for service after their programmes.

Will I Serve in NYSC after Finishing from College of Health?

The answer is still yes – but not for all their programmes/courses.

Here is my explanation…

Colleges of health technology usually run three types of programmes:
  1. Regular National Diploma (ND)
  2. Regular Higher National Diploma
  3. Certificate (Diploma Courses)

College ND and HND Programme Conditions

If you’re admitted for the ND programme and proceed to HND, you will be mobilised for NYSC after your studies.
Let’s get the picture further.
  1. To be admitted for an ND programme at a college of health, you will have to obtain JAMB UTME and consider any of the colleges among the federal, state and private ones in Nigeria.
  2. If admitted, you’re to complete a 2-year ND programme.
  3. After this, you will be required to go for a year Industrial training (IT) in a recognized organization.
  4. Then after, you can obtain the HND form of the same college or another. Here, you will spend another 2 years to earn the Higher National Diploma.
  5. After this, you’re qualified to be mobilized for NYSC if you’re not more than 30 years as at the date of graduation or mobilization.

College of Health Certificate (Diploma) Programme Conditions

If admitted for certificate programmes such as:
  • Health Assistant,
  • Medical imaging Technician,
  • Pharmacy Technician,
  • Food and Nutrition etc …,

… you won’t be able to proceed beyond this to HND level except your school has special provisions for this – which is very rare.

If you must know, people don’t go to NYSC with an ordinary certificate or Diploma course. You need HND and Bsc to be mobilized.


It’s better to know the end of a journey before taking off in the first place.

If NYSC is a must for you, I advise going for ND and HND programmes of a college of health technology.

Meanwhile, not all these colleges run ND and HND especially those who are not under JAMB. Check this post for those who will mobilize for service (because they run ND and HND) and those that may not.

Best Related Posts

  1. What to do Before NYSC: 3 Ways to Prepare for Life After Graduation
  2. What Are The Differences Between HND and OND?
  3. Less Competitive University Courses With Better Employment Prospects
  4. 5 Unusual Reasons To Start Business While Still in School (Personal Experiences Shared)
  5. 11 Courses to Study at University/College to Be Able to Start a Business


  1. good day am a HND holder through with service and want to go for PGD studies in school of health technology. Can it be possible? I studied food science and technology

    1. There is no way to answer YES or NO. You may need to visit the schools of interest to confirm if they will accept that. You can also check the post below for a list of schools accepting HND for PGD and Master's Degree.



Be sure you check earlier comments to know if I'd answered a similar question. I won't reply to a repeated question. Your comment will appear after being reviewed by admin. Bookmark the post and check back, please!

Receive Posts by Email

Enter your email and click subscribe:

Then, check your email for a confirmation message. Click the link in the email to complete your subscription.

Delivered by FeedBurner