Updates and Guides on Schools, Jobs, Academic Programmes and Admissions.

Ask a Question 👇👇👇

He walked in, to ask about his date of birth for NYSC. There was an error in his date of birth. Instead of 11th May 1998, it was written on the corps' portal as 11th March 1998.

See the mistake? Just the month. 

He thought the mixup should be from his school or WAEC. Obviously, he wasn't sure what happened.

His first question was, "which date of birth will NYSC use for the mobilization - the one sent by the school? the one on the WAEC result or which one?"

Your own case may be different from my visitor's above. I'd seen a few similar cases too.

For one awaiting corper, the day of birth was the issue. For another, the year of birth was the error.

This post will help you answer a few questions. The most important was the one asked by the guy.

And since, he knew NYSC would display the dates of birth on certificates, he wanted to know the date of birth to expect. The one on his WAEC result or the one, he believed, the school would submit to NYSC.

If NYSC should use the one the school submitted, he would be able to go for NYSC because that one was not up to 30 years. But if NYSC would use the one on the WAEC result, he wouldn't be lucky because that would be 32 years by now.

Let's get into it and see if your own case is covered.

The Dates of Birth on NYSC Portal Now Matters

I had once suggested to my readers that they might not worry about mistakes in their days or months of birth if that wouldn't increase their ages to miss NYSC. But for the year, it should be taken seriously because that obviously might affect them.

Of course, days and months wouldn't affect the NYSC, then, why should you worry? They're not significant and as of then, NYSC was not showing date of birth on the discharged certificate.

But now, it's important to take care of this mess if you can. Give it what it takes to get any error in your date of birth corrected (be it the day, month, or year) because NYSC has started displaying corpers' dates of birth on their certificates.

And you know if that is clearly different from that you have on all other academic credentials, you had earlier, you'd looked more like a fraud especially before your prospective employers.

And since there are provisions to get things corrected, if truly an error (not your manipulation), you should take advantage of one. Below this post, are linked posts to solve dates of birth issues. Yet, a section of this post will summarize the quickest method.

RecommendedDifferences Between NYSC Revalidation and Remobilization

NYSC Doesn't Originally Use SSCE Date of Birth or School-Sent Date of Birth

This may shock you but that is the truth.

NYSC will never initially need to use the date of birth written on your WAEC, NECO, GCE, or NABTEB to mobilize you for the service. In the same vein, the corps won't use the date of birth that will be sent by your school, for the senate list, especially if it differs from what they truly want.

You ask me what date of birth will NYSC use then? What date of birth does NYSC want?

The corps originally uses JAMB dates of birth of all prospective corp members for the purpose of mobilization. Yes, NYSC collects a few data from JAMB, through the JAMB registration number used while filling your mobilization form online. Among these data is the date of birth.

Whereas, this JAMB date of birth you will meet on the NYSC portal/dashboard will not be made editable. You won't be able to change or manipulate it to your goal. 

And if you compare this date of birth with the one on your JAMB result or JAMB regularization slip, it should be the same.

It doesn't matter if the date of birth tallies with the one on WAEC or school documents. If those are different the corp only deals with the JAMB's.

This is why candidates who aim to serve should be mindful of their dates of birth. In fact, most candidates use regularization to correct/manipulate their possible over-age at the ends of their studies.

RecommendedHow to Contact NYSC for Supports/Complaints?

Where There is Conflict that Needs Correction, NYSC Will Accept WAEC Date of Birth in Place of JAMB's

I've established that NYSC only used the date of birth on your JAMB result or regularization in order to mobilize you. However, if there was a mistake on the JAMB date of birth or regularization date of birth and you wish to make use of the one on your WAEC result, NYSC is ready to accept that in place.

This is possible and that's the only alternative to using the default JAMB date of birth.

In other words, you can correct the JAMB date of birth mistakes by replacing them with the one on your WAEC result.

Of course, this may not be working for candidates with NECO and NABTEB results. I'm, for now, more convinced that this method works well and is officially acceptable for candidates using WAEC or WAEC GCE results.

Luckily, it doesn't matter if that result was the one you used for your admission or not. What matters is that the result must belong to you and should have the dates of birth you want.

Procedures to Replace JAMB Date of Birth with that of WAEC

Buy WAEC Verification card. You can get this card for about N2,000 at any WAEC office nationwide or any cafe or online outlet at a price a bit higher (N2,500 to N3,000.)

Now, login to your NYSC portal and locate the link/button for "Change D.O.B (WAEC)".

A window will pop up. Enter the WAEC verification PIN you'd got earlier, the WAEC Registration Number, and the year of the exam. Then, submit.

After your submission, you will have to wait a few hours (24 hours or more) to see the date of the birth changed.

During the period, NYSC will use your PIN to fetch the date of birth from WAEC's database and replace the one with them by the WAEC's.


  1. The Change D.O.B option will only be made available after completing NYSC registration and not after the whole registration has closed for the stream.
  2. If you're noted for exemption certificate because the date of birth on your JAMB has exceeded 30, but the date of birth on your WAEC is lesser and right for NYSC mobilization, using this method, if approved, will change your status from the exemption to call-up letters. Hence, you will be posted after the right date of birth is fetched by the corps from WAEC's portal.

Best Related Posts


    1. Sir,I graduated in 2019,but due to covid 19 and my school is affiliated to UNN,so my name is out in my school Senate list.while my question is i 29 years we i graduated.due I got admmision directly from jamb and during my registration i reduced my age to 1993 which is 28 this year and all my documents have 1993 even my affidavit.except my weac which have different age which 30 by this year.so sir which data of birth will NYSC use.thanks

      1. Try understand the details in the post above. It has explained everything.

    2. So i have no problem sir.but some people said that NYSC are no more using jamb date of birth currently , that they are using weac that is Y am confused.


    Before you comment, read the post and earlier comments very well. I will NOT reply questions already covered. Don't include your email or phone number in the comments.

    Receive Posts by Email

    Enter your email and click subscribe:

    Then, check your email for a confirmation message. Click the link in the email to complete your subscription.

    Delivered by FeedBurner

    Ask a Question 👇👇👇