Inter University Transfer Admission: Requirements and Process - School Contents

Updates and Guides on Schools, Jobs, Academic Programmes and Admissions.

Inter University Transfer Admission: Requirements and Process

You’re on the right page if you want to know about what inter-university transfer admission is all about, which universities you can consider for transfer, what are the requirements, form prices by some universities and so on.

I’ve got a series of queries. My blog readers want to know about:
  • UNIBEN inter-university transfer
  • OAU inter-university transfer
  • UNIZIK inter-university transfer
  • UI inter-university transfer
  • UNIABUJA inter-university transfer
  • UNICAL inter-university transfer
  • LASU inter-university transfer
  • FUTA inter-university transfer form

This is my comprehensive post on this topic so far. It’ll be wise if you read it word for word before taking actions thereon.

What is the Inter-University Transfer Admission?

Inter-university transfer admission is not that common but universities offer that as well. So, what’s this about? This is the admission exercise that allows an undergraduate student of a university to move from his or her present university to another. For example, a 200 level student of Ladoke Akintola University may seek transfer admission to the University of Ilorin.

Of course, what most students are used to are the admissions through UTME, Direct Entry, Pre-degree, IJMB, JUPEB, Cambridge and NABTEB Advanced Levels, Part-time and Sandwich programmes, Distance learning (e.g NOUN) and most recently top-up degree programmes. We also have what is called inter-university transfer admission.

Why Considering Inter-University Transfer Admission

A student may want to consider such admission if:
  • his or her parents relocate and he deems it fit to move with them
  • he/she wishes to move to a university with a better academic standard
  • there are consistent strike actions in his or her present university
  • there is security threat etc

It’s important to note that this admission arrangement is between the two involved universities. Hence, JAMB is not directly concerned with admission by transfer.

JAMB portal now includes the registration link for students to register before/after being transferred.

Option to register as a transfer student with JAMB

Transfer from Polytechnics/College of Education to Universities

Another question that may come to mind is if you can do transfer from one polytechnic to the other or if it is possible to do the transfer from a polytechnic/college of education to a university.

As at the time of this post in Nigeria, you can’t be transferred from a polytechnic or colleges of education to university. Likewise, you can’t do transfer within polytechnics or college of education. The option opened to ND or NCE holders is admission through JAMB Direct Entry.

How to Apply for Transfer from One University to the Other

Basically, only four things are involved:
  1. Consulting with the recipient university admission office/officer
  2. Consulting with the present university admission officer
  3. Meeting the entry requirements of the recipient university/course
  4. Obtaining the transfer form

Let’s look at each of the points above one after the other.

1. Consulting with the target university admission office/officer

You must first meet with the entry requirements of the university you’re seeking transfer to. The university may have some internal arrangements you can’t read anywhere on the web. Doing some findings online may help but that won’t replace your physical presence and enquires so you can hear from the horse’s mouth.

In case you can’t make it to the campus for enquires, you can seek the help of a proxy – someone who can do the findings to your satisfaction.

Another medium is to go straight to the university’s dedicated page for transfer admission. The links below take you to the extracted information about the named universities.
  1. Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria
  2. University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN)
  3. University of Ilorin (UNILORIN), Kwara State
  4. Osun State University (UNIOSUN) Osogbo
  5. Crescent University, Abeokuta

What is the Required GPA for Inter-University Transfer?
As a matter of fact, each university you’re proposing has different policy regards the GPA that will be accepted. If you follow any of the links above, those schools state clearly and openly the GPA an applicant must have before standing a chance of being admitted.

Where a school is not opened on this, or not available on the portal, ensure you visit the admission office, as earlier advised. They will be pleased to tell you anything you wish to know.

Do I Need to Request Transcript for Transfer Admission?
The answer is YES.

Generally, all universities require their prospective applicants for transfer admission to request the former school’s transcripts.

It’s based on this that the university will decide to offer you the admission or otherwise.

2. Consulting with the present school admission office

It’s also important to meet with your school too on your decision to go for transfer to another school.

Some faculties have strict policies as to releasing their best products to another course not to mention of another school entirely.

Meet with the admission officer, dean of faculty or registrar - whoever is in charge.

They will as well let you know what you have to do before requesting for such.

You may be thinking, does it matter if they want you to go or not? Don’t forget you’ll need them to process and send your transcript.

3. Meeting the requirements of the target school/course

Transfer Admission Requirements:
  • Generally, all universities demand the same O’level and JAMB requirements for Transfer admission. The only thing that may vary is the GPA.
  • By O’level results, applicants must meet the 5 required subjects needed for his or her course. You shouldn’t have problems with this since you’re already admitted based on this in the present university.
  • By JAMB requirements, it means the schools require you to have written UTME or use DE for your admission into the present university. Such JAMB registration number should be available on request. Subjects written for UTME must align with the course you're proposing in the new university too.

Having said that, it is worth noting that you can only process transfer admission for the same course you had in the present school.

4. Obtaining the Transfer Form Online

Contrary to the belief that a body is in charge of inter-university transfer admission like JAMB is for UTME/DE, ABU Zaria for IJMB, UNILAG for JUPEB etc., sales of the admission form and processing in the case of transfer is handled by the recipient university.

Some of these universities require applicants to pay for, download, fill, scan and send to a specific email e.g UNILORIN, FUOYE. Some schools such as the Osun State University requires applicants to fill an online form and make a payment on the university portal.


If you digest this piece all through, you will notice that I emphasized visiting the recipient school for enquiries before proceeding with their application.

It is worth knowing that, admission form is never sold by any agent – be it online or offline. You have to interact with the university you’re proposing directly.

There’s equally the need to know if you meet up with the O’level, JAMB and GPA requirements by the recipient university.

People would appreciate it if you could just share this post with them on Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp etc. Use the share icons below for your convenience.


  1. Please can student submit transcript by hand to FUTA???

    1. Generally, transcript should be forwarded by the concerned institution to the other. Not by hands. If FUTA instructs otherwise, you can then take it there by hands.

  2. Thank you so much your site is really helpful

  3. Please I need to know if someone can make a transfer from a public university to a private university in his finals. Please it is urgent and I appreciate if admin can reply soon. Thank you very much

  4. Please what about transfers from Nigerian University to Other International Universities?


Be sure you check earlier comments to know if I'd answered a similar question. I won't reply to a repeated question. Your comment will appear after being reviewed by admin. Bookmark the post and check back, please!

Receive Posts by Email

Enter your email and click subscribe:

Then, check your email for a confirmation message. Click the link in the email to complete your subscription.

Delivered by FeedBurner