With DE, Can I Change ND/NCE Course Going to University? - SCHOOLCONTENTS.info
Print Your JAMB Exam Slip
Let us help print and send your JAMB EXAM SLIP to you immediately for N500. Know your center, date, and time. Get it sent to you in just 5 minutes. Chat us on 08065152292 (WhatsApp only please!)

With DE, Can I Change ND/NCE Course Going to University?

Although you may want to cross from a polytechnic or college of education to a university if you just prefer a degree instead of HND, one of the reasons a few others will try to do that is to change their courses or discipline.

In order words, if you're not satisfied with your ND or NCE course, you may want to consider another course while obtaining the JAMB Direct Entry Form.

This choice is not only common among the ND and NCE holders, generally, but any candidate who qualifies for DE may also have a change of mind for the base course and change to a new course using DE.

In short, could the course from which you got the ND, NCE, HND, BSC etc be different from the course you would consider during the Direct Entry registration?

In this post, I will be shedding light on this concern.

Generally, All Universities Allow Candidates to Change Courses with Direct Entry

After studying the JAMB brochure in detail, it's clear and undoubtful that all universities, be it federal, state or private, accepting Direct Entry applicants, allow their aspirants to change courses.

In the brochure, these universities, while stating what you need to be qualified for your proposed course, will use "in relevant or related courses" after listing the main requirements.

For example, Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU), Ago Iwoye, Ogun State, for Medicine and Surgery, states that it accepts Degree in a "related programme".

For the same course, the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Port Harcourt, Rivers State states that it accepts Three (3) A/Level passes in JUPEB or IJMB or GCE or HSC Passes in Physics, Chemistry and Biology including UTME entry requirements. First Degree (Second Class Honours - Upper Division) in either Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry or "any other related course".

The interpretation of the above requirements is that the university places more importance on the listed courses and other related courses.

As for candidates who wish to change their ND/NCE course when pursuing admissions through direct entry, the requirements are equally the same.

RecommendedJAMB Accredited Colleges of Health and Their Courses

For Microbiology, the University of Benin, Benin City, Edo State in addition to the SSCE requirements, accept NCE Merit

For the same course, Kings University Ode-Omu, Osun State accepts NCE/ND/HND in related fields plus SSCE subject requirements.

For more universities that will allow you to change course, to Microbiology, if you have NCE/ND/HND from a related course, Universities Accepting NCE for DE Microbiology.

If you decide to change your ND, NCE or HND course to Biochemistry, through Direct Entry, I have compiled a list of universities accepting NCE, ND, and HND for the course.

The opportunity to change course with DE is not limited to the science students (as I've covered so far), art and commercial students have the same chance.

For Banking and Finance, for instance,

  1. University of Benin (UNIBEN) Benin City, Edo State accepts, NCE in Economics or Business Studies at credit or merit in relevant Programme.
  2. Crescent University, Abeokuta (CUAB) Ogun State accepts NCE credit, ND, HND lower credit, and approved equivalent may be admitted to the appropriate level.
  3. Southwestern University of Nigeria Ikeja, Lagos State accepts NCE merit in relevant subjects
  4. Oduduwa University Ipetumodu (OUI), Osun State accepts NCE merit in relevant courses
  5. Christopher University Mowe, Ogun State accepts NCE credits in relevant subjects.
  6. Edo University, Iyamho (EUI), Edo State accepts NCE with passes at merit level in relevant subjects.

For other universities accepting NCE/DE, for Banking and Finance, read, Universities Accepting NCE Holders for Banking and Finance

As for the art course, let's take Mass Communication, for instance. 

For Mass Communication,

  1. Rhema University, Aba (RHEMA), Abia State accepts good NCE, ND/HND in relevant programmes/subjects.
  2. Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK), Awka, Anambra State accepts good NCE, ND/HND in relevant programmes/subjects.
  3. Benson Idahosa University, Edo State (BIU) requires in addition to the 'O' Level requirements specified, a minimum of two (2) relevant subjects passed at 'A' Level or NCE three (3) merits or ND in relevant programme/subject, not below credit level.

For other universities, accepting NCE/DE for Mass Communication, read Universities that Accept NCE for Mass Communication.

RecommendedCan I Study Biochemistry/Microbiology at Polytechnic?

Relevant O'level Subjects and Grades Must be Met

One sensitive area to check when you're trying to change your ND, NCE or HND course through Direct Entry is the WAEC, NECO, NABTEB or GCE subjects for the proposed course.

As earlier established, it would be safer to be sure your ND or NCE course is directly or reasonably related, you should equally be sure that you have relevant SSCE subjects too.

For example, a student proposing to change to Accounting from another ND, HND or NCE course should be sure that his WAEC, NECO, GCE or NABTEB contains the 5 required subjects for Accounting. These subjects include English, Mathematics, Economics and two social science or commercial subjects.

The two universities below, in the post, "Universities Accepting NCE holders for Accounting", are very open about this.

  1. Evangel University, Akaeze Ebonyi State requires NCE in addition to the SSCE requirements.
  2. University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) Enugu State accepts, in addition to the SSCE requirements, NCE in relevant programs

Even though other universities may be silent about the need to have the right SSCE subjects together with related or relevant NCE, ND, or HND courses, this doesn't mean they won't care if you have any deficiency.

Changing to a Related Course will Boost Your Chance

In this post, I only gave some examples so that you could understand the point that, with DE, you could change your course coming from a polytechnic or college of education.

However, it's important to understand the simple fact that, changing to a course with an entirely new outlook from what you had from ND, NCE, HND or BSC may not help your admission. 

At least there should be a reasonable relationship between the former course and the proposed one.

Most students just blindly seek DE admissions, changing their courses but are later disappointed by the universities.

Very recently, a student visited me to express her disappointment at the University of Benin. She processed DE admission using NCE Biology/Chemistry to pursue Nursing Science. She was later dropped to one of the university's affiliated centres to study Physical and Health Education.

Do you see?

The thing is that there is probably no direct or reasonable relationship between Biology/Chemistry and Nursing in the first place.

The university was even very motherly to have given her another course. Most universities will not even consider her for any course - or affiliates. 

If she continues trying this for a decade, she'll remain puzzled unless she read a post like this.

Use the JAMB Brochure, Check Your Eligibility For a School's Admission

Even though writing this post is my way of opening your eyes to how and where it's possible to change course and be offered admission with DE, JAMB has really given you two tools that can solve this mystery before you take up a DE form, in the first place.

The two tools are:

  1. the JAMB brochure and,
  2. admission Eligibility Checker Portal

With the JAMB brochure, you will clearly see what a university wants, from both its UTME and DE aspirants and what they may not accept. And if studied and well understood, you can't go wrong with the brochure.

With the admission eligibility checker portal, you will save yourself the time required to go through the brochure. Even though nothing is bad in using the two tools to arrive at the same answer, the admission eligibility checker allows you to enter what you have in ND, NCE, HND or BSC together with your SSCE and submit it to the proposed university's course. If qualified, the system will show you that. Otherwise, you'll be warned from the start.

NEED a guide, update, or answer on something? You can spend just #1000 to get professional answers and guides. Click here to request Mr. Techie's Instant Reply

HELP SOMEONE:  People would appreciate it if you could just share this post with them on FacebookTwitterWhatsApp, etc. Use the share icons below for your convenience.

Best Related Posts

  1. Do I Need Industrial Training (IT) Before DE Registration?
  2. How Many Universities Can I Choose in JAMB? Answered!
  3. Can I Register UTME and DE Together for This Year's Admission?
  4. Can Part-Time Students Do Direct Entry?
  5. Direct Entry Requirements For Theatre/Performing Arts
  6. What to Take to CBT Centers to Fill UTME/DE Form

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just type your comment and post it. It will not appear until it is checked by admins. Check back to see your comment live.

If you want an immediate reply, you can request a reply @ #1000 through WhatsApp only at (08065152292). No call, please!

Techie BEC Konsult 7:54 PM (0 minutes ago) to me