Can I Study Medicine After BSC Biochemistry, Microbiology etc (Through DE) - School Contents

Updates and Guides on Schools, Jobs, Academic Programmes and Admissions.

Can I Study Medicine After BSC Biochemistry, Microbiology etc (Through DE)

JAMB logo


Medicine and Surgery is one of the most competitive courses among Science students. Admission seekers usually pursue this sure-millionaire course for some years and if things seem odd, they quit and move to another course.

Some will find ways to go back to the course even if they enter universities with other courses. For example, some will change their course while going to the 200 level (inter-faculties transfer). Some may consider crossing to other universities (inter-university transfer admission).

Whereas, some will like to finish their existing courses such as Microbiology, Anatomy, Biochemistry, and similar biological science courses. And after, consider JAMB Direct Entry (DE).

If you belong to the last category of people who had completed one degree but want to cross to Medicine and Surgery, this post is for you.

Direct Entry (DE) Admission Into Medicine Possible?

Are you confused about whether you can obtain DE form for Medince and Surgery? The answer is it’s possible to do Direct Entry into Medince if you have the requirements.

The requirements, in this case, are the 5 O’level credit passes in English, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics but in just (1) one sitting. Most universities accept one sitting O’level result for Medical courses. This post gives those that accept one and those that accept two sittings.

The second requirement in the context of this post is Bsc (degree) classes and courses that those universities will accept for Medicine Direct Entry admission.

Degree Courses and Grades Required By Nigerian Universities for Direct Entry Admissions into Medicine and Surgery

Below is the list of Nigerian universities offering medicine and their degree/course/grade requirements.
  1. Abia State University (ABSU), Ambrose Alli University (AAU) and Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU) accept Degree in a related programme.
  2. University of Benin (UNIBEN) accepts at least a Second Class Upper Division from a recognized University in either B.Sc Biological Sciences or B.Sc. Medical Sciences.
  3. Benue State University (BSU) and Lagos State University (LASU) accept a good Honours degree minimum of Second Class Upper in the relevant programme.
  4. University of Calabar (UNICAL) accepts Degree, not below a good Second Class Lower Division in Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, Nursing Science, Medical Laboratory, Biology, Zoology or Chemistry. It does not accept IJMB for Direct Entry.
  5. Ebonyi State University (EBSU) accepts B.Sc Second Class Upper Division in any Biological Science plus '0' level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics at one (1) sitting.
  6. University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) accepts B.Sc Second Class Honours in Anatomy, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Physiology, Zoology, and other Basic Science programme. It also accepts a minimum aggregate of 13 points. a minimum of B.Sc Second Class Upper Division in Anatomy, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Physiology, and zoology only.
  7. University of Ilorin (UNILAG) accepts B.Sc. Degree (first class/second class upper) in Medical related fields.
  8. Lagos Sate University (LASU) requires a minimum of C in each of the subjects and will consider a Bachelor of Science with a minimum of second class upper division.
  9. Niger Delta University (NDU) accepts a B.Sc. with a minimum of second class upper division in Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Zoology, Chemistry, Physics and Botany.
  10. Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) accepts B.Sc. with a minimum of second class upper division in the relevant programme (Sciences).
  11. Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU) and University of Calabar (UNICAL) accept degree in Science not below Second Class Lower Division.
  12. Federal University Dutse (FED-DUTSE) accepts at least a Second Class (Lower) degree in one of the Health Sciences programmes (e.g. Human Anatomy, Human Physiology, Nursing etc), Biology, Biochemistry or Microbiology.
  13. Osun State University (UNIOSUN) accepts first degree in relevant Biomedical Sciences Medical, paramedical, Biological, Chemical or Physical Sciences with not less than second class upper division.
  14. Edo University, Iyamho (EUI) accepts B.Sc. in relevant fields, not below Second Class Lower Division.
  15. ABU accepts 'A' Level/IJMB Passes in three subjects in Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Zoology.
  16. University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT) accepts Three (3) A/Level passes in JUPEB or IJMB or GCE or HSC Passes in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology including UTME entry requirements. First Degree (Second Class Honours - Upper Division) in either Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry or any other related course including UTME entry requirements.
  17. Kaduna State University (KASU) accepts Ordinary level requirements plus; Passes in Chemistry, Physics, Biology or Zoology at Higher School Certificates or Advance level of GCE, IJMB or equivalents. An acceptable First Degree in relevant Biological or Physical Sciences discipline.
  18. Delta State University (DELSU) requires First Degree in relevant Biological or Physical Sciences discipline not less than  Second Class Upper Division may be considered in addition to the UTME requirement.

Can You Be Offered 300 level Admission into Medicine?

With your first degree, will it be possible to gain Direct Entry admission into the 300 level? Which universities will give you such?

Well, with all my findings, I’d not come across any universities accepting degree holders to 300 level through Direct Entry admission for Medicine.

This doesn’t mean it’s not possible. However, you may be required to visit your proposed institution for more inquiry and if that proposal can favor you.

Generally, it’s safe to say that the 200 level admission is more certain.

Best Related Posts

  1. Can I Register DE While Waiting For Regularization Approval?
  2. Can I Study Nursing in University with OND SLT or NCE?
  3. Do I Need JAMB Registration Number for DE Application?
  4. Do Direct Entry (DE) Applicants Have to Write UTME or Post DE?
  5. Universities Accepting Awaiting Results for Direct Entry (DE)


  1. sir pls i want to study biochemistry,will it be possible for me to switch to medicine when going to 200 level.

    1. Yes, if your school has policies for that. In that case, you will be required to meet a grade point to be able to process such a transfer form a course to the other. Read more about this through the link below.

  2. Thanks for this post!

  3. Does ABU Zaria gives admission to someone having first degree in biochemistry through DE?

    1. This post already details universities doing that. Kindly read again.

  4. Can I cross to medicine from nurse

    1. As at the time of this response, these are just the available official conditions to cross to Medicine. Hence, check item number 4 and 12.

  5. Please sir can I cross from microbiology to Medicine in OAU?

    1. Yes, you can if you meet the GPA requested for that. Read more through the link below.

  6. Hi sir, please I would like to know if it's possible to study Medicine as a postgraduate course after having a degree in gen.Microbiology

    1. This is unusual. I'm not sure of nay university accepting that. However, you may consider visiting the intending school to enquire about their admissions regards this.

  7. Hello sir can I cross over to medicine and surgery from general chemistry in 200l in unilag

    1. Yes if you meet the requirements for the university's intra-colleges transfer.

    2. Sir can I gain admission into fulafia to study mls with direct entry of slt

  8. If I study physiology can I switch to medicine after level 200

    1. Yes, you can. There are 7 areas where physiology is mentioned in the post above. Read again.

  9. Yes, you can. There 7 areas where physiology is mentioned in the post above. Read again.

  10. Sir you listed 17 universities, pls what about ABU ZARIA & KASU.
    Thank you.

  11. Please sir can I switch from zooloy to pharmacy in 200level

    1. Yes if you meet the right grade point as required by your school.

  12. Can I continue with medicine after I have finished biochemistry as my first degree course.


Be sure you check earlier comments to know if I'd answered a similar question. I won't reply to a repeated question. Your comment will appear after being reviewed by admin. Bookmark the post and check back, please!

Receive Posts by Email

Enter your email and click subscribe:

Then, check your email for a confirmation message. Click the link in the email to complete your subscription.

Delivered by FeedBurner