6 Ways to Convert HND Courses to Education (Teacher/Lecturer) - SCHOOLCONTENTS.info

6 Ways to Convert HND Courses to Education (Teacher/Lecturer)

First posted on schoolcontents.info
Higher National Diploma
One of the aftermaths of the Higher National Diploma (HND) is you're restricted to certain jobs. In fact, as an HND holder, you're not a recognized teacher and you can't lecture ONLY with that award. Why?

Even though can be better at teaching, you're not trained or groomed to be in classes. Being good at teaching doesn't make you a professional teacher. 

A professional teacher is someone who is recognized to be a teacher - possessing NCE or a Degree in Education. And unfortunately, the same law only favours university graduates or master's holders to lecture at universities, polytechnics, or colleges of education.

And in case you're hearing the Federal government had abolished the dichotomy between HND and BSC, I gave you the latest development in my post, "Abolishing HND and BSC Dichotomy: Latest Developments You Must Know". That doesn't mean HND can now become a teacher or lecturer.

That takes us back to your question.

With your HND, how can you become a teacher (recognized one)? How can you convert HND to BSC Education? How can use your HND to become a teacher or a lecturer?

Time-Saving Approaches to Convert HND to BSC Education

If you intend to use your Higher National Diploma (HND) for teaching without starting all over, consider any of the available options below:

1. HND to BSC Education Conversion Programme

I've covered a great deal of information about the Top-Up degree also called the HND/BSC conversion program in my post, "HND to BSC/Top-Up Degree (28+ Universities in Nigerian and Abroad)". However, not all the universities, in the post, offer education courses. Therefore, below is the list of a few universities (to be updated) that run education courses for the conversion program.

  1. Ignatius Ajuru University of Education
  2. Ajayi Crowther University, Oyo
  3. Osun State Polytechnic Iree (Affiliate with Ajayi Crowther University, Oyo)
  4. HEGT University, Cotonou Benin Republic
  5. Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin

HND/BSC conversion course is usually a two- to three-year part-time (and sometimes distance learning) course. When you're done, you'll be awarded BSC (Ed) or BED. With this, you can teach at any secondary school. And if combined with a Master's Degree, you can lecture at a university, polytechnic, or college of education usually as an assistant lecturer (to start with).

2. NTI Kaduna PGDE Programme

This is a distance learning/part-time program administered by the National Teachers' Institute, Kaduna. The institute has study centers across the country where you can enroll with HND for Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE).

When done, you're awarded PGDE at your HND course or a related one as registered and trained for by the institute. With this, you're a recognized teacher for any secondary school and if combined with a Master's degree, you can be a lecturer or assistant lecturer in any higher institution.

3. Sandwich Education Programme

Several universities running sandwich education part-time or contact programs do accept HND holders into their one-year or two-year duration course. For instance, the UNILORIN Sandwich Programme.

In most cases, these universities may accept you into 200 or 300 levels of the course. When completed, you're awarded a BSC Education certificate qualifying you to be a teacher. See Sandwich Programmes in Nigeria: Universities, Courses, Application Processes, etc.

4. Universities Master's (MSC) or Postgraduate Programmes (PGDE)

With a Master's or Postgraduate Diploma (especially in education), you're qualified to be a teacher. Meanwhile, with your HND, you may not be able to obtain any postgraduate form directly. This is because a majority of universities only accept BSC holders for their Master's and postgraduate programs.

I'm happy to inform you that there are some universities now accepting HND for postgraduate courses. The postgraduate course is usually a one-year program. When completed, you're a qualified teacher or lecturer.

Check the following resources for any school you can consider:

  1. Universities that Accept HND (with Lower Credit) for PGD/MSC 
  2. UNILORIN Business School 

5. Direct Entry Admission into 300/200 Level

If you don't mind, you can obtain a direct entry form and consider some universities. Of course, a direct entry application will give you 200-level admission. However, we have a few universities that can consider you for the 300-level with higher or competitive grades.

In brief below is a list of the universities accepting HND for direct entry admission for education courses.

  1. Alvan Ikoku College of Education (EDALV), Owerri, Imo State accepts ND/NCE/HND
  2.  University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID) Borno State accepts ND/HND
  3. Tai Solarin University of Education (TASUED) Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State accepts OND/HND
  4. Nwafor Orizu College of Education, Nsugbe, Anambra State accepts HND
  5. University of Calabar (UNICAL) Calabar, Cross River State accepts HND
  6. and others

6. National Open University of Nigeria Postgraduate Programmes

You can opt-in for any of the following NOUN Postgraduate programs in education. The following courses accept HND from various courses.

  1. M.ED. Educational Technology
  2. M.ED. Science Education
  3. PGD. Education
  4. M.ED. Administration and Planning
  5. M.ED. Guidance and Counselling

If you visit the program page to check the list of requirements, the distance learning University accepts HND for any of the courses above.

NEED a guide, update, or answer on something? You can spend just #500 to get professional answers and guides. Click here to request Mr. Techie's INSTANT REPLY

HELP SOMEONE:  People would appreciate it if you could just share this post with them on FacebookTwitterWhatsApp, etc. Use the share icons below for your convenience.

Best Related Posts

  1. Top-Up Degree or PGD? Which One is Better?
  2. What To Know About PART-TIME Degree, HND, ND, or NCE Admissions
  3. Is it Possible to Run Two Degree/PGD Courses Together?
  4. 3 Ways to Prepare for Life Before/During NYSC
  5. After NYSC What Next? MSC, Job Search or Business (Self-Employment)
  6. Can I Do a Master's (MSC/PGD) Before or During NYSC
  7. NYSC Year: Top Tips for a Successful CDS
  8. Can I Do a Top-Up Degree With a Pass/Lower Credit?
  9. Can I Get First Class With a Top-Up Degree?
  10. LAUTECH Offers HND to BSc Conversion Program: Apply!


  1. Sir, what is the different between PGDE and postgraduate in Christian religious studies? I have HND in business administration, currently am running my PGDE.

  2. Hi,
    I would love to convert my NCE + BSc to PGDE or B. Ed. Where can I do this?


Just type your comment and post it. It will not appear until it is checked by admins. Check back to see your comment live.

If you want an immediate reply, you can request a reply @ #1000 through WhatsApp only at (08065152292). No call, please!

Techie BEC Konsult 7:54 PM (0 minutes ago) to me