Is It Possible to Change Course After Admission? - School Contents

Updates and Guides on Schools, Jobs, Academic Programmes and Admissions.

Is It Possible to Change Course After Admission?

JAMB logo
Change of course after admission, possible?

After being offered a course at a university, polytechnic, or college of education, a few students might want to consider changing their offered courses. Is this possible? And if YES, what are the modalities involved?

Let’s get the picture very clearly.

A student has been offered admission by the University of Lagos. He later wished to change the course. Is this allowed? What procedures should be followed if possible?

You Can’t Change Course on the JAMB Portal after Being Admitted

That’s the direct answer to your question.

It’s not possible to change the given course on the JAMB CAPS as soon as you accept the offer.

A confused candidate had directed the same question to JAMB. And the answer was capital NO.

JAMB says you can't change course after being admitted

That’s very accurate that the candidate couldn't change the course after the admission had been given and the offer accepted.

The answer was so quick and direct. Hence, the body didn’t have enough space and time to explain further.

I get you a further explanation and that is what you will read throughout this post. You will see other situations where it could be possible.

You Can Change if You’ve Not Accepted the Offer

JAMB allows you to reject admission on CAPS. Even though you can reject the offer, you’re at risk if you do. The school may not offer you the intended course if you should reject it based on the undesired course.

If you reject the offer because of the given course, you’re rejecting the institution and course altogether – not just the course. This is why it’s not advisable that you reject the offer unless you can risk letting all go.

Rejecting admission here, though, will, though, open space for any other school to come in. And if you’re not expecting any, you might have dished your admission chance this year by the click of a button.

If you don't mind, after you’d rejected admission on CAPS, you can still change the course.

You Can Change the Course on CAPS if Transferred

Lately, institutions are transferring candidates from their desired and applied courses to similar and less competitive courses.

With the transfer of admission, candidates are to check “Transfer Approval” on their CAPS to know if they’d been transferred by the institutions.

If transferred, you have to accept or reject the new course. If accepted, you need to change to the new course on the JAMB portal too. If you reject, you'd waved bye to the school and admission for the year probably.

With this, when the school completes the remaining processes, you will be able to see the new course as offered on CAPS under “Admission Status”. Then, accept finally before you print JAMB admission letters.

Now, if you’d been transferred, it means you’d been admitted too. This is because a school will not transfer you unless it’s certain it will offer you the course.

So, if you proceed to change of course, it will work. This is because it’s the school that transfers you to that and it’s required of you to do the change of course eventually.

You Can Change Course Going to 200 level

You must have heard of this before now. And if you haven't, here you have it.

It’s possible to change your course while going to the 200 level at your university.

Many universities allow this in certain conditions. The major one being that a candidate seeking to change course while going to the 200 levels must have a predetermined pass mark as a prerequisite.

For example, the University of Ibadan, Ladoke Akintola University, Obafemi Awolowo University, and a few others draw specific GP points for students willing to change course.

If you meet up with this point while at the end of your 100 level, you won’t be denied the chance to change the course. If however, you’ll be left with no other choice than to marry your current course.

Meanwhile for polytechnics and colleges of education, changing courses while going to ND 2 or NCE 200 level is not possible. I've got no reference to a polytechnic or college allowing such.


It's safe to say changing the course won’t be allowed by JAMB if you had been offered a course that you’d accepted on CAPS. But if you’re transferred on the JAMB CAPS, you will be allowed to change to the new course.

However, candidates are still left with the last option if the change is not possible on JAMB – which I already covered in this post.

Best Related Posts

  1. What to Do If Offered Admission For a Different Course in JAMB CAPS
  2. Can I Do Change of Institution After Already Accepted Admission for Another School?
  3. How to Do Change Institutions/Courses the Third or More Times
  4. Universities/Others Accepting Change of Institutions and Those Who Are Not
  5. Change of Institutions/Courses Payment: Is the Money for All or Separate Charge Needed?


  1. i have done my clearance and t have paid my fees and the,school still changed my course

    1. Yeah, it's possible.

      The school should inform you what t do next. You may likely be told to go and change to the same course on the JAMB portal

  2. I want to change to accounting after I had upper credit in my result

    I want to change from OTM to ACC into another institution
    Is it possible MR TOLANI

    1. Are you asking if you can change course through Direct entry?

  3. Sir I have been transferred to quite a different course other than my course of preference, I don't know if I accept the course now i can still change to another course of my choice, when I finally resume school or subsequently.

  4. Sir please is it possible to change faculty after first year

    1. It is possible but not all universities accepting that. Confirm from your school first.

  5. Should I carry out change of course after accepting transfer offer From *TRANSFER APPROVAL" on Jamb caps

  6. During the jamb Registration I used my former secondary School instead of the one I wrote my waec,will it affect it? And also during the registration I chose different courses in the second,third,and fourth institution choices which my main Choice I added "political science" and subject combination for political science is not thesame in the other choices bcus in the second choice I added accounting, third choice was science laboratory technician, fourth choice digital media was the man that registered it that added this nonesense out of rush rush,I don't know sir if I will get admission offer with this or not and can I also change the later on if I get jamb admission B4 the writing post utme,I'll be waiting for your response sir

    1. JAMB doesn't care about the name of your secondary school. All they want is your result.

      You can still change institutions and courses later.

      No need to panic.

      Read more through the links below.

  7. Please I have changed my course on jamb successfully, how long should I wait before it reflects on school portal. It's not been up to 1 day. Can I do any change through school portal or I don't know?

    1. Read the post below.

  8. Pls can you change course as a direct entry student after giving admission

  9. I was transferred and wanted to change my course but it said I couldn't change because my admission is in progress,is there anything I can please and I have paid to jamb

  10. Can I do a change of course from mathematics to mechatronics engineering after my 100 level in FUTO

  11. Pls, i put accounting when registering for jamb but to my suprise delsu gave me banking and finance, i did'nt do change of course in my jamb portal and now am going to 200lv can i still do the change of course in 200lv.

    1. If you school sells change of course form, you can change going to 200 level.

  12. Pls i have been admitted college of edu but i want to change nce to degree is it possible

    1. Except you decide to write a new JMAB and process the degree this time.


Before you comment, read the post and earlier comments very well. I will NOT reply questions already covered. Don't include your email or phone number in the comments.

Receive Posts by Email

Enter your email and click subscribe:

Then, check your email for a confirmation message. Click the link in the email to complete your subscription.

Delivered by FeedBurner