JAMB and National ID Card (NIN): 17+ Answers to Your Questions - School Contents

Updates and Guides on Schools, Jobs, Academic Programmes and Admissions.

JAMB and National ID Card (NIN): 17+ Answers to Your Questions

Sample of National ID Card
It's time for another UTME registration. This time, JAMB insists that all intending applicants must register with the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) before they can apply for JAMB UTME and DE.

The intention is to capture the national data of individual admission seekers before proceeding to JAMB CBT centres in Nigeria for UTME/DE registration.

As a result of this development, prospective candidates will want answers to their heart-burning questions. Below is a collection of such questions and official answers to them.

1. What is NIN?

The National Identification Number (NIN) consists of 11 non- intelligible numbers randomly chosen and assigned to an individual at the completion of enrolment into the National Identity Database (NIDB).

2. Must all admission seekers register for NIN?

Yes, all candidates seeking admission into any university, polytechnic, college of education, or innovative enterprise institution in Nigeria must register for National Identification and obtain a number called NIN before they can register for UTME. 

This was suspended for the 2020 UTME/DE registration. However, for the 2021/2022 UTME/DE application, the board had announced it's compulsory for all prospective applicants.

3. Must I register for NIN before UTME registration or it can be done after?

It's before as the number will be asked to get JAMB profile code which, in turn, will be used to buy UTME/DE PIN from you by an accredited outlet and used at CBT centre for registration.

 4. Do I have to Collect my National ID Card before I can register for UTME/DE?


You only need to collect a slip containing your NIN. It's only this number you will be asked for when you go for registration of JAMB at a CBT centre.

You can wait, till later, when ready, before you collect the ID card. But NIN will be given to you within a few days.

5. I've registered for the National ID card before, do I have to re-register because of JAMB UTME/DE?


Registration is only allowed once. And for JAMB purposes or any other purpose, you don't need to reapply for a National ID. Once registered, you can use that for any purpose forever.

6. Must Direct Entry (DE) applicants register for NIN too?

Yes, it is also applicable to them as well.

DE applicants are holders of BSC, HND, ND, NCE, IJMB, JUPEB, NABTEB, or Cambridge A'level who wish to further their studies at a university of choice into 200 level or 300 level courses.

7. How Much is NIN Registration?

It's free.

Obviously, we've got a complaint from certain applicants that some NIN centres are asking for a fee for lamination or fuel. Yet, this is unconfirmed.

With agents being approved for the registrations of national ID cards, you may need to pay a fee within the range of N1000 to N1500 if you're not using NIMC.

8. Where are the nearest NIN registration centres around me?

Visit this link to check all accredited registration centres for NIN across the country.

Register Online

This is the “do it yourself whenever and wherever you are” process of enrolment. For this option of the enrolment process, the applicant visits the official website of NIMC (www.nimc.gov.ng) and pre-enrolls online using the Pre-enrolment Portal https://penrol.nimc.gov.ng/, filling in his/her data in block letters, then prints out a summary sheet that has a 2D Barcode. Then, take this slip to the registration centre nearest to you.

9. Must I use the registration centre in my town or state?


You can, of course, use any registration centre anywhere in Nigeria. Locate the one nearest to you so you easily go back for subsequent activities.

10. Can I use my friend or relative NIN for my JAMB registration?

No. Once a NIN is assigned to an individual, it can never be reassigned, given, or used by another person – which makes it unique in nature.

The NIN is used to tie all records about an individual in the database and is also used to establish or verify his/her identity. Hence, no person can use another person's NIN.

11. Do I have to share my NIN with others?

The NIN should be closely guarded by individuals and not revealed to all and sundry except to relevant authorities when requested (for instance, it shouldn’t be disclosed online over social media and should not be printed along with contact details on business cards or other office stationery).

12. Will I be Issued NIN (National ID Card) if I am less than 16 years?

Even though you can register for National ID if you're age 15 or less, yet, Minors are not issued with National Identity cards until they attain the age of 16.

The Parent/Guardian’s NIN is required if the child is below 16 years of age. See more here.

13. What will be required of me to register for the National Identification Card (NIN)?

Walk into the nearest NIMC Enrolment Centre with your BVN if you have one and any of the following required Original and Valid supporting documents:
  1. Old National ID Card
  2. Driver’s License
  3. Voter’s card (Temporary or Permanent)
  4. Nigerian International passport
  5. Certificate of Origin
  6. Attestation letter from a prominent ruler in your community
  7. Birth certificate
  8. Declaration of age
  9. Attestation letter from religious/traditional leader
  10. NHIS ID card
  11. Government staff ID card
  12. Registered/recognized private organization staff ID card
  13. School ID Card (private/public)
  14. Tax Clearance certificate
  15. Valid immigration documents

14. Will I be given my NIN immediately after registering at the centre?

After completing the enrolment, a Transaction ID Slip will be issued to the applicant as evidence of the transaction. However, the Transaction slip does not confer the right to the National Identification Number. The applicant will be requested to come back for the NIN within 1-5 working days, as it is subjected to availability of network, authentication, and verification.

A National Identification Number (NIN) Slip is issued to the applicants after processing. The National e-ID Card will be issued to the applicant within 12months after the issuance of NIN barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Since you only need the NIN for your JAMB registration, you can get that through a certain shortcode, a few hours after the National ID card registration. To do that, dial *346# on the line used for the National ID registration.

15. Can I register for my National ID card or get NIN at a CBT center?

Yes. Though CBT centres are meant to provide other services including registration of candidates for UTME and DE. Hence, you're to get your NIN at a NIMC before going to a CBT to use it for your registration for UTME or DE. 

However, JAMB has instructed all CBT centres to prepare stands for NIMC officials to register candidates who are yet to have NIN.

16. Is it possible to register for National Identity Card twice or more than once?

NO. Enrolment for the NIN is Once in a Lifetime.

Once you enroll and your National Identification Number (NIN) is presented to you, the Automated Biometric Information System (ABIS) will store all your information supplied and any attempt to enroll again by the same person will be detected and this a punishable offence.

Therefore, enroll once and be identified for life. Your National Identification Number does not expire.

17. With National Assembly asking JAMB to suspend asking candidates to register for the National ID card, has JAMB complied?


The body agreed to stop using NIN for the registration of UTME and DE in the year 2020. But this year and after, candidates will have no other choice.

The body has answered a similar question with affirmative YES that candidates will still be required, by now, candidates are allowed to register for JAMB UTME and DE without NIN.

18. How Do I Correct Mistakes in the used for my National ID Card (NIN)?

Detail of steps to take has been detailed in, "How to Correct Names (Other Data) on National ID Cards"  Kindly check! 


  1. Can I use my nin with different surname on it to register for jamb

    1. NO. First correct your names at NIMC first and make sure you have the printout for the crrected names before sending NIN to 55019.

    2. Sir I changed my name but after changing it they still kept on showing my old name when I sent my code to 55019

    3. The change has not reflected then. Be sure they give you the new enrollment slip showing the correction or changes you made first.

  2. Can I use my 2018 jamb profile code for this year jamb registration?

    1. Yes, you can. But first send NIN with your NIN to 55019 e.g. NIN 89102348192 before using it. This will reactivate last profile code for this year too.

      And be sure you can still log in to your last year JAMB profile.

  3. Sir i use my mum nin to link my sim but now have done my own nin id but can i still link it with my personal nin

    1. This post is not talking about linking NIN with SIM.

      I'm talking about JAMB registration here.

  4. But I have done change of name in my NIN. But will it change in my jamb profile?

    1. It should when JAMB does general database update to reflect new changes.

  5. Hello sir...I just checked my email and saw my jamb registration slip,didn't provide my email during the registration,just that I've created jamb profile with my email before profile registration was scrapped.just wondering how they got my email since I didn't provide my email during the registration.

  6. Must my Nin Dob be the same with my jamb Dob?

  7. good day sir, I've already registered for JAMB 2021 but I didn't know that my NIN was carrying the wrong year of birth until I went for UTME registration and I saw it, I was confused because I've done my NIN about 4years ago. How do I correct this please? because I've already registered.

  8. Sir I've got some issues with date of birth and even liking to change my state of birth could it be possible nevertheless, I've had my jamb registration done?

    1. You can edit that on your National ID card.

      Use the guide in the post below.


  9. Please the name i have on my weac is different from the name on my NIN,so i did NIN modification,so when i generated my jamb profile code it was still bearing the same name that is on my NIN,so what can i do?i have written jamb with the name that is on my NIN,but the name is different from the name on my waec...

    1. When JAMB starts correction data, make sure you do correction of names.

  10. Pls the state of origin I have on my NIN is different from the one on my jamb and I have already changed it through my nin I want to know if the change will automatically reflect on my jamb.

    1. JAMB will also open change of data registration. Use that too.

  11. Enter your comment...sir I went to jamb for change of middle name which was as a result of wrong credentials during NIN registration. they said jamb don't do "change" of name
    pls what else can be done

    if I rectify it at NIN will it reflect on my profile

    1. Then, ask JAMB who does the change so you can go there.

  12. Pls sir i changed my middle name to my first name in my nin ....i want to know if it would reflect to my jamb automatically

    1. You still have to go to JAMB office to do the same.


Before you comment, read the post and earlier comments very well. I will NOT reply questions already covered. Don't include your email or phone number in the comments.

Receive Posts by Email

Enter your email and click subscribe:

Then, check your email for a confirmation message. Click the link in the email to complete your subscription.

Delivered by FeedBurner