Can I Register UTME and DE Together for 2021/2022 Admission? - SCHOOL CONTENTS

Updates and Guides on Schools, Jobs, Academic Programmes and Admissions.

Can I Register UTME and DE Together for 2021/2022 Admission?

JAMB Allows Candidates to Obtain JAMB UTME and DE Forms Together
JAMB logo
One of my group members has just dropped a question. He wanted to know if it was possible to register UTME and DE together in the same year. He'd got the idea from his friend. A person has also claimed he registered the two a few years ago. Yet, he didn't believe an applicant can process UTME and DE admission together for the same admission year.

The short answer to this question is YES, it's possible. But there's more to know about this.
Let's get to work.

JAMB has said it's an offense to register both UTME and DE but no further explanation given on that.

The body only dropped this.

That is a case of multiple registration! Candidates are NOT allowed to register for both UTME and DE. If a candidate registers for UTME and has additional qualification(s) for DE, there is provision for such candidate to upgrade.

Then, let me explain in detail.

Candidates, In the Past, Obtained JAMB UTME and DE Forms Together

Officially and in the past, JAMB has allowed candidates to collect both UTME and DE forms in the same admission year. They did this on purpose. We will get to that shortly.

But, for those who don't know the difference between UTME and DE, my post, "UTME/DE: A Compulsory Requirement to Gain Admission to Nigerian Tertiary Institutions", will be the right take to differentiate between the two. 

But for a brief exposure, the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) is meant for those seeking 100 level admission with SSCE results while Direct Entry (DE) is meant for those seeking 200 or 300 level admission into universities of their choices - using any of BSC, HND, ND, NCE, IJMB, JUPEB or other advanced diplomas.

Having said that it's possible, then, to obtain the two together. But things worked out wrongly! Admissions were clashing such that a candidate was being offered admission by two different schools while qualified candidates were being denied admission.

How Applicants Can Register for DE and UTME Together DE and UTME

Aside from this, some candidates who failed to meet up with the DE registration deadline in the previous admission years were allowed by JAMB to covert their UTMEs to DEs. This was called UTME to DE Conversion. I discussed this in detail in my post, "JAMB Reopens DE Form. Allows Upgrade UTME to DE".

If a candidate goes for UTME to DE upgrading, he or she has agreed to discontinue his or her UTME admission to chase DE admission instead. In order words, registering UTME when you still aim to register for DE can be a backup for you in case you don't meet up UTME admission requirements.

While it's possible to convert or upgrade UTME to DE, it's not possible to covert DE to UTME. Therefore this option is opened to:
  1. A candidate who obtains UTME but failed the exams or couldn't pursue the 100 level admission again.
  2. He also had completed or about to complete his or her NCE, ND, IJMB or JUPEB
  3. Then, he can upgrade UTME to DE even after JAMB registration has closed and admission is in progress for any university accepting direct entry applications.

Will Candidates Be Offered Admissions With Both DE and UTME?

Sincerely, NO.

The purpose of this method, as earlier said, was to help you have a fall-back. The purpose is obvious. You don't have to waste another year at home because UTME doesn't work. Either way, what you want eventually is to be in university - be it from 200 or 100 level.

JAMB has designed a system called CAPS. With this system, a candidate will not be offered admission by two institutions. This is why I gave you a post, "Can JAMB Give A Candidate Two Admissions in CAPS?".

If you take a moment to read that, you will see how things will go with admission such that one candidate can only be offered one admission space - no more double admissions.

People would appreciate it if you could just share this post with them on FacebookTwitterWhatsapp, etc. Use the share icons below for your convenience.

NEED a guide, update, or answer on something? Check if that has been covered on this blog by searching your question on Google and add at the back e.g  Can I gain admission with two sittings +  One of my related posts will be displayed for you by Google.

Best Related Posts

  1. Do Direct Entry (DE) Applicants Have to Write UTME or Post DE?
  2. After Changing Institution, Can The Previous School Offer Me Admission? See Answer
  3. 4 Shortcuts Students Take to Gain Admission Which You Also Can Take Now
  4. 6 Options to Consider If You Missed or Failed JAMB: No 1 to 5 Seriously Will Help
  5. How to Gain Admission To Universities in the Early This Year


  1. At what point can I upgrade from UTME TO DE?

    1. Before the new school starts selling their post DE form or while the form is still on sales.

  2. Am having an issue, the bank teller made payment for DE instead of UTME and Epin was sent to me, it was later discovered the it was DE
    So another payment was made the next day, with the same profile code, and Jamb didn't send me another Epin again, so should I do

    1. Talk to your bank. They can still switch the PIN if you've not activated it.

  3. collected de form, but on the process of my registration i realized that jamb didnt give me admission when i did jamb regularisation in my poly. Please is it possible for me to collect another utme with the same profile code because the De application was unsuccessful

    1. You can obtain a new UTME form and convert that to DE later.

      To use the old profile code, make sure you activate it by sending NIN (a space) and your NIN to 55019 first. e.g NIN 9801883002

  4. So it is not advisable to register for both utme and de together?

    1. It's not even possible. Only one profile code for one NIN. At the same time it's not allowed.

  5. If i register for DE can I m later change it to utme for admission?

    1. Candidates can only upgrade UMTE to DE. You can't downgrade DE to UTME.

  6. Can I cancel my jamb registration and start over?

  7. Pls sir, I have registered for direct entry already using other diploma. But my regularization I did is taking time. My question is can I obtain utme form and later convert it to direct entry again


Before you comment, read the post and earlier comments very well. I will NOT reply questions already covered. Don't include your email or phone number in the comments.

Receive Posts by Email

Enter your email and click subscribe:

Then, check your email for a confirmation message. Click the link in the email to complete your subscription.

Delivered by FeedBurner