Can I Use New O'level Results for HND or Direct Entry? See Answer - School Contents

Updates and Guides on Schools, jobs, Academic programmes and Admissions.

Friday, 6 March 2020

Can I Use New O'level Results for HND or Direct Entry? See Answer

An OND/NCE holder proceeding to HND or university (with Direct Entry) may want to know if it's possible to use a newer SSCE result to process his admission into Higher National Diploma. In other words, can a candidate use this year or next year WAEC, NECO or NABTEB result for HND admission instead of the result he used for OND programme?

Well, if you're in these shoes, your scenario can be as illustrated below.

Yemi gained OND admission in the year 2017. He used his WAEC result. The grades there were not too strong but it qualified him for the programme anyway. Perhaps he didn't make English, Mathematics, Biology or Physics in that result.

Now, he wants to proceed for an HND or a university degree programme (usually through direct entry). Then, he decides to write a new WAEC, NECO or NABTEB. If the grades here are better, he will prefer that to be used for his new admission.

The question is: Is this possible or he must use the same old WAEC result (used for OND or NCE) to obtain his HND or DE form?

You Can Use A Newer Result Instead of the Old One

In that post, I explained that you can do that. You can do it, not only while in a higher institution but also after you're done with one programme and wish to process another.

Therefore, the answer to this question is as simple as YES, you can use a newer O'level result to process your HND or Direct entry admission.

Candidates Who Must Obtain a New Result for HND or Direct Entry Admission

Master Orji was in my office recently to apply for the Federal Polytechnic Bida and Oko admission forms. His previous course was Transportation Management from The Oke Ogun Polytechnic.

The poor guy was admitted for Transportation Planning and Management even though he was an Art student. At his polytechnic, they usually admit candidates from Science, Commercial or Art background into the course.

At another university, such as Bida Poly, Okoh Poly, MAPOLY, it's recognized as a commercial, management or social science course. In fact, some schools categorize it as Science. Hence, those polytechnics make Economics or similar commercial subjects from O'level, compulsory.

Now that, Orji will cross to another polytechnic that sees the course as a commercial course, he will be required to provide commercial students subjects from his SSCE. Needless to say, he didn't have these - as an Art student.

So, what must he do?

He will have to resit for any of WAEC, NECO, NABTEB or GCE. Then, write subjects including Economics, Account, Geography, Commerce etc before he can be admitted into the HND programmes of these new polytechnics.

A similar situation is if you must obtain DE form and consider a university that requires O'level subjects you didn't have or write in the old result, you'll need to obtain another SSCE to provide for the deficiencies.

It's acceptable to use a different result from the one used for your past qualification/programmes.

Best of Luck!

Best Related Posts

  1. Nigerian Schools and Courses Accepting Two Sittings For Admissions
  2. Check If You Are Qualified For the University and Course You Chose in JAMB
  3. List of Universities, Polytechnics or Colleges Accepting Awaiting Results 
  4. 20 Answers to Students' Questions on WAEC and Using It For Admissions
  5. SSCE Results: 5 Credits Needed, Possible Combinations and Where D7, E8 or F9 Accepted

Receive Posts by Email

Enter your email and click subscribe:

Then, check your email for a confirmation message. Click the link in the email to complete your subscription.

Delivered by FeedBurner