Differences Between WAEC Attestation and Confirmation of Results - School Contents

Updates and Guides on Schools, Jobs, Academic Programmes and Admissions.

Differences Between WAEC Attestation and Confirmation of Results

I started this post when a reader asked to know if there is any difference between WAEC Attestation of Result and Confirmation of Result. A similar question is if there is a difference between confirmation of result and transcript of the result.

In case you're confused, let me give you some background.

WAEC Issues - Certificate, Attestation of Result, Confirmation of Result, and Transcript of Results

Generally, all WAEC candidates - be it WAEC Internal (school candidates, also called May/June) or WAEC GCE (Nov/Dec, 1st or 2nd series, also called private candidates), are entitled to documents called WAEC certificates or Orignal WAEC results. 

However, there are cases where this document could get lost, damaged, misplaced, burnt, or stolen. This is one of the cases this post will address.

Another scenario is when you even have the certificate but for certain official purposes, a body, school, or organization wants to ascertain the authenticity of the document. In fact, such a body may ask you to request WAEC to send the real breakdown of your result to them as a means to verify it. This is another case this post will address.

RecommendedWhere Can I Collect Original Result For NECO, WAEC, NABTEB, GCE?

Attestation of WAEC Result

This is an official replacement document for candidates who lost or damage their results. If you'd lost your WAEC original result or Certificate, you can't get that back again because the exams body doesn't issue certificates out more than once. 

As a provision for the cases of loss, damage, accident, etc, WAEC will replace your original result with the Attestation of Result. And of course, there is no special difference between the two documents except for the title/name on them. While the original result will show "West African Senior Schools Certificate", the Attestation of Result will be indicated below the "West African Senior Schools Certificate" to indicate the difference.

RecommendedShould I Laminate My Certificates and Results?

How to Request for Attestation of Result

In brief, to get WAEC attestation of the result, follow the following steps: 

  1. Write a Letter of Attestation: to be written on a letterhead, stamped & signed by a clergyman, or imam, or a court of law; 
  2. Collect a Sworn affidavit from a court of law; 
  3. Provide a Photocopy of the result printout from the WAEC website; 
  4. Include N10,000.00 excluding postage (if the candidate is outside the country). 
  5. Book for an approved courier service: prices depend on destination (if you're outside the country)

WAEC Confiramtion/Transcipt of Result

This is an official WAEC document issued on behalf of a candidate to an organization to affirm the originality of the WAEC result or certificate presented by the candidate to such an organization. Candidates and organizations can request confirmation or transcript of results. 

Common bodies that may ask for this include WES Advisor which provides international students and skilled immigrants resources on immigration, employment, and education opportunities in the U.S. and Canada. 

This kind of request may be for the evaluation of the results for the purpose of admission or engagement. 

A candidate who asked this question will strictly need confirmation of the result

I live in California and I’m trying to get my Waec result mailed to a company here in the US directly. Please confirm if this is a service you offer.

You can apply for the Confirmation of your Results in any WAEC office and it will be sent directly to the institution, organization, embassy, etc. To get WAEC confirmation of Result or Transcript, you apply to WAEC. The body will then prepare and send it to the concerned organization. 

Either of Attestation of Result or Confirmation of Result may be required if you are in the shoes of the candidates below. 

I laminated my GCE of 2002 and I want to legalize it at the embassy. Legalization is denied because I laminated it. I was asked to get a result notification from WAEC. I do I go about it and what's the cost?

How To Request WAEC Confirmation of Result/Transcripts

  1. Letter of Attestation: To be written on a letter headed paper, stamped and signed by a Clergyman, Imam, or a Court of Law
  2. Sworn Affidavit: A Court of Law
  3. A photocopy of Certificate: 1998 downward
  4. Result printout from WAEC website/Certificate 1999 to date
  5. A non-refundable fee of N10,000.00 (Overseas) excluding Postage
  6. A non-refundable fee of N5,000.00 (local) excluding Postage
  7. Approved Courier Services: Prices depends on destination or candidate use either (a) An envelope with N1,750.00 stamp (Overseas) or (b) An envelope with N850.00 stamp (Local)
  8. Two (2) passport photographs

Kindly contact us at the 7th Floor WAEC, Yaba, Lagos for further information and necessary action.


Best Related Posts

  1. Are There Certificates for GCE (WAEC, NECO, or NABTEB)?
  2. Request Original WAEC Certificate/Result Online at waec.ng
  3. Does WAEC, NECO, NABTEB Result Ever Expire? For Admissions and Jobs!
  4. Is it Possible to Collect WAEC Certificate by Proxy/Another Person?
  5. Can I Use Two O'level Results for Jobs? How?


  1. Thanks for the content. Please, is there a specific format for writing the affidavit for WAEC confirmation of result?

    1. Court, that will issues that, knows how to write it.

    2. Please I lost my waec GCE certificate but I have a scanned copy of the result. So I used it to apply for a school abroad. An offer was given but I need to legalize my original certificate and a mark sheet which is the waec GCE transcript.
      So I learnt getting an attestation of result takes like 3 months and I should go for a confirmation of result. Is it possible to get my waec GCE transcript or the Confirmation letter from waec can cover for it?

  2. Hello. Thank you for your help. Will the 'Confirmation of result' be sent directly to you or the organization that needs it?

    1. To the organization. If you want it sent to you, use the guide in the post below.


  3. Please sir how long will it take for the confirmation of result to be sent to the embassy after application

  4. Hello good day sir, I didn’t do well in my school Waec so I took GCE. Now most schools i apply for abroad ask for my result transcript, Pls do gce gve transcript . And if yes how long does it take to be ready . Thanks

    1. GCE has transcript. It should take a few days or weeks

  5. Hello, I live in the uk and I am wondering how to get my WAEC CERT?. I have misplaced the one I had, although I still know my candidate no. I sat for june 2000 exam.

    1. Ok. Sorry about the mess. Kindly check the guideline in the post above.

  6. Good day. Thanks for this write-up. But I have a question.
    The school I applied for are requesting for high school certificate and transcript, but I did only GCE.

    What's the way out please, because I checked for differences between the 2, and I'm getting same result.

    Thank you

  7. Hello, Good day. Thanks for the information above
    I'm applying to a school abroad and they requested for my WAEC certificate. i just wrote WAEC in August/September 2021 and the certificate isn't out yet. the deadline to submit the certificate is February 1st. please what do i do?

    1. There is probably nothin to do if what they wanted was the certificate. You just have to wait for the certificate and reapply for another year. And if it's possible to differ your admission, you can take advantage of that too. Read the post below.


  8. please how do i get confirmation of result is it me that sends it or waec sends it to the uni. i am applying to a uni abroad and they need official confirmation of result. where do i get it.

    1. WAEC will send it. The procedure to request that is already in the post above.

  9. Pls, my waec certificate has an issue with names. The names there is a bit different from the names on my other documents especially my birth certificate. How do I make the changes? E.g Adeoye Oluwagbemiga Mathew is the correct name but on the certificate it is Adeoye Gbemiga Mathew.

    1. The posts below will help.



    2. I'm trying to apply for scholarship to study outside the country.
      I was asked to submit my certificate of graduation from school and my transcript.
      Can i use my waec certificate and transcript, because my school doesn't issue certificate they only issue testimonial.

    3. Yes, use your waec certificate and transcript.

    4. Sir it's possible to apply for change of date of birth during application for attestation certificate and how do I apply for it

    5. Method to change your date of birth are already covered in the post above. Read and understand.

  10. Good evening Sir, I want to study abroad and part of the documents required is that I should take my original waec result and high school transcript to the ministry of education for authentication
    1. My question now is that is it a must for me to take my documents to the ministry of education for authentication when my waec result is the original one
    2.how much would it cost me to do all the authentication and how long would it take
    3. I completed my high school in Lagos should I take my documents to the ministry of education in Lagos or Abuja for them to authenticate it for me
    4.lastly I was not told to send my documents to the university after authenticating it I hope you receive your reply soon thank you Sir

    1. It should be Ministry of education Abuja. I don't know the cost. The abroad university should instruct you on what to do with the results after the authentication.

  11. Please, how long does it take to acquire the transcript.


Before you comment, read the post and earlier comments very well. I will NOT reply questions already covered. Don't include your email or phone number in the comments.