Can I Study Nursing in University with OND SLT or NCE? - School Contents

Updates and Guides on Schools, jobs, Academic programmes and Admissions.

Tuesday, 14 April 2020

Can I Study Nursing in University with OND SLT or NCE?

Universities that May Consider SLT (OND) and/or NCE for Nursing Direct Entry
Image credit

Do you know why Science Laboratory Technology is the most competitive science course in our polytechnics now?

"Of course", you’ll say yes.

Students like it. It’s sounding attractive!

You may be wrong.

Most of the time – the real reason is, very many admission seekers believe they can use that to cross to Nursing in universities. A similar issue is, it's one of the two medical/technology courses in polytechnics.

This is it. Have you heard it that you can study SLT in a polytechnic and after your 2-year ND programme, you can do JAMB Direct entry to pursue Nursing in University? Thereby, you continue to Nursing Degree at 200 level?

Some NCE holders are also finding ways to use their certificates to pursue Nursing. They want to know if there are universities accepting that for the degree Nursing.

Read: Commercial Courses Science Students Can Go for in Polytechnics

Can I Use Science Laboratory Technology ND or NCE for Nursing?

Is this possible?

Well, I regret telling you that this is most likely impossible – but not entirely.

I will explain.

Candidates are proposing Science Laboratory Technology in Polytechnics to be able to study Nursing later will be disappointed because few universities are accepting SLT for Degree Nursing.

In this post, I covered those universities that accept it and those that won't.

Ride along...

What are Universities Accepting for Nursing Direct Entry then?

Having said that you may not be able to chase Nursing admission with SLT, you must know what those universities care for instead – after all, they are still accepting candidates for DE.
  1. Our universities are majorly accepting Registered Nursing (RN) for their direct entry. In other words, applicants must have completed a three-year basic nursing programme. In fact, they accept the Registered Midwifery (RM) together with some years of working experience.
  2. Some also accept A’levels such as IJMB, JUPEB, and Cambridge.
  3. Some eye for BSC/HND in the likes environmental health and some for Nutrition and Dietetics etc

Universities that May Consider SLT (OND) and/or NCE for Nursing Direct Entry

However, some will accept ND, HND or NCE in health-related courses. This is where you can be favoured if you studied SLT in your ND days. But disappointingly, very few universities are accepting these. See them below:
  1. Adeleke University, Ede (AUE) accepts ND credit plus five SSCE (5) subjects including Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English. However, such ND should be from health-related courses such as Science Laboratory Technology, Environmental Health and Nutrition and Dietetics
  2. University of Calabar (UNICAL) also accepts HND in Public Health, ND in Environmental Health, Public Health Nursing from West African Health Examination Board in addition to five (5) SSCE subjects including Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English
  3. Ebonyi State University (EBSU) accepts HND, NCE and ND with a minimum of Merit and Upper credit respectively in the relevant programme. Since they are not specific to the relevant courses, Science Laboratory Technology should be accepted.
  4. Federal University of Technology Owerri (FUTO) also accepts ND/HND upper credit in Health-Related programme plus (5) O’level credits passes in English Language, Mathematics, Biology, Physics and Chemistry. The university does not accept the first degree or NCE.

Further Visit to the JAMB Brochure on What Universities accept for Direct Entry for Nursing

  1. Ambrose Alli University (AAU) accepts Registered Nurse/Midwife RN, RM with one (1) year post registration experience; as well as RN, RPN or RN, RNA, or RN, RNT with at least five (5) O’level credits passes in English Language, Mathematics, Biology, Physics and Chemistry.
  2. Ambrose Alli University (AAU) also accepts good first degree (BSC) programme e.g. Biochemistry, Anatomy, Human Physiology, Health Education, Psychology, Guidance and Counseling.
  3. Check for other universities' Direct Entry requirements in my post, “Universities Offering Nursing – UTME Subjects Combination/DE Grade and SSCE (O’level) Requirement”.

Best Related Posts

  1. Are Polytechnics Offering Medicine, Nursing, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Law, etc? See Answer
  2. Universities that Don’t Accept Admissions for Nursing and Public Health This Year.
  3. School of Nursing, Health Tech, and Hygiene: Answers to Students’ Questions on Admissions
  4. How Many Years Does It Take To Study Nursing In Universities?
  5. OND Vs NCE: Which One Is Higher? Which One To Go For?


  1. Good afternoon Sir, I have ND in SLT,I want to study MLT. Which university in the North should I get admission now? Please help me.

    1. Your best bet is to check the JAMB brochure for the list of those universities. However, you can subscribe to this blog. I will soon drop a post on that. So, you can get an email update for the post and more.


Your comment will appear after being reviewed by admin. Check back please!

Receive Posts by Email

Enter your email and click subscribe:

Then, check your email for a confirmation message. Click the link in the email to complete your subscription.

Delivered by FeedBurner