Can I Do "Law", Without Literature or with D7/E8 in It? -

Can I Do "Law", Without Literature or with D7/E8 in It?

Passing Literature-in-English has been a long-term headache for some Law applicants. These students had known that without Literature-in-English, their dreams of becoming layers might be cut short.

While that's true to some extent, what if you know of a few universities that may offer you admission for "Law" with a pass (D7 or E8) in Literature?

Similarly, some science or commercial students, who because of the class arrangement, might not have been offered Literature-in-English back in secondary schools, want to consider Law now. These aliens are finding means to gain admission to Law without writing the Literature-in-English.

In this post, I will be showing you what is possible and what is not, where you can avoid literature entirely for Law, and where a pass (D7 or E8) may give you a narrow escape.

"Civil Law", "Law" & "Common Law" Will Compulsorily Require Literature-in-English

Some universities offer Civil Law. Some offer Law. And a few "Common Law". We can also safely say while some universities call their Law "Civil Law", some others call it "Law" or "Common Law".

If you study the brochure you'll understand these variances. For example, universities such as Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, etc., call it "Civil Law", and a few others such as Alex Ekwueme Federal University, Ndufu-Alike, Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, etc., call it "Law".

Similarly, some universities, for the same Law will use "Common Law". For example, instead of Civil Law or Law, the University of Ilorin uses "Common Law".

An in-depth look into these variances gives the same result for the O'level requirements. If you're chasing any of the universities that name it "Civil Law",  "Law", or "Common Law", the Literature-in-English" is compulsory.

In other words, without writing the subject or with D7 or E8 in it, you don't stand any chance for Law admission. These universities will require at least C6 in Literature-in-English to be qualified for their Civil Law or Law.

RecommendedCan I Write JAMB Without WAEC/NECO Result?

Common & Islamic Law Accepts Not Writing Literature or D7/E8 in It

Luckily, if you didn't write Literature-in-English or you wrote but with only a pass (D7, or E8), you could turn to "Common & Islamic Law" to save the year.

Yes, you heard me. Some universities only run "Common & Islamic Law". A few also run "Law/Civil Law" and also "Common & Islamic Law". For "Law", "Civil Law", and "Common Law" literature is a "must" but for "Common & Islamic Law" literature is optional.

The University of Ilorin (UNILORIN), for its "Common & Islamic Law", accepts five (5) 'O'level credit passes in Arts or Social Sciences to include English Language and Islamic Studies or Arabic. Don't forget the same university has "Common Law" too.

The University of  Maiduguri (UNIMAID) for its "Common & Islamic Law", also accepts five (5)'O' Level credit passes in Arts or Social Sciences including English Language and Islamic Studies or Arabic.

The same is applicable to the Nasarawa State University, Keffi, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto, Osun State University, Osogbo, among others for the "Common & Islamic Law"

The interpretation of the "five (5)'O' Level credit passes in Arts or Social Sciences including English Language and Islamic Studies or Arabic" is that no need to write Literature in English and if you have only "pass" it's acceptable.

Islamic/Sharia Law Won't Need Literature or a Credit Pass

Similar to the "Common & Islamic Law", if a university offers "Islamic/Sharia Law", you won't need literature-in-English, a credit pass, or an ordinary pass in it. With either Arabic Studies or Islamic Studies, you're good to go without literature.

For the Islamic/Sharia Law, the O'level requirement is generally,

Five (5)'O' Level credit passes in Arts or Social Sciences to include English Language and Islamic Studies or Arabic.

So, if you want to consider universities such as Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, and others that are offering Islamic/Sharia Law, you won't need literature in English.

RecommendedD7/E8 in My Subjects, Which Polytechnic Can I Go For?

JAMB Subject Combination is Directly Related

So far so good, we're been exploring the O'level required for all these Law variances. But what of the JAMB subject combination?

My finding shows that the subject required, in JAMB, for "Law, "Civil Law", and "Common Law" may include Literature-in-English. Even where the brochure is silent about it, it's wise to do it in JAMB.

For example, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye, for "Civil Law" states "Any three (3) Arts or Social Science subjects" as UTME subjects.

By direct interpretation, you can go for any three art subjects apart from English. But if you seek my professional advice, I'd say "make literature one of the three subjects".

For "Law" Umaru Musa Yaradua University, Katsina, Yobe State University, Damaturu, Yobe State, etc, also states "Any three (3) Arts or Social Science subjects".

Don't forget my warning for the Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye

For "Common Law", the University of Ilorin was so direct to ask for "Literature in English and any two (2) other Arts/or Social Science subjects."

That's what I'm talking about!

However, for the "Common & Islamic Law" and "Islamic/Sharia Law" the JAMB subject combination is uniformly "Any three (3) Arts or Social Science subjects including Arabic or Islamic Studies".


With this in-depth look into universities that may offer you "Law" without writing Literature or with just D7 or E8, we can all safely say that you'll be fine with anyone running "Common & Islamic Law" and "Islamic & Sharia Law" as it's obvious other Laws will require Literature-in-English.

However, you'll still need Islamic or Arabic studies as a substitute should you want to consider "Common & Islamic Law" or "Islamic/Sharia Law" as alternatives.

Without this, if you insist on Law especially "Civil Law", "Law" or "Common Law", you can make up for this deficiency if you pick up any SSCE form. WAEC GCE, NECO GCE, or NABTEB GCE can save you the stress or embarrassment of wearing school uniforms again.

NEED a guide, update, or answer on something? You can spend just #500 to get professional answers and guides. Click here to request Mr. Techie's INSTANT REPLY. 

HELP SOMEONE:  People would appreciate it if you could just share this post with them on FacebookTwitterWhatsApp, etc. Use the share icons below for your convenience.

Best Related Posts

  1. Without JAMB, Can I Study Law, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, etc.?
  2. NOUN Graduates, NYSC, and Nigerian Law School Issues Resolved
  3. How JAMB and Schools Will Admit Applicants This Year
  4. Can I Study Law, Medicine, Nursing, etc. at Colleges of Education?
  5. Are Polytechnics Offering Law, Medicine, Nursing, Microbiology, etc.?

1 comment:

  1. Please, will uniuyo accept E8 in mathematics for law?


Just type your comment and post it. It will not appear until it is checked by admins. Check back to see your comment live.

If you want an immediate reply, you can request a reply @ #1000 through WhatsApp only at (08065152292). No call, please!

Techie BEC Konsult 7:54 PM (0 minutes ago) to me