Can I Serve at NYSC After NCE Programme? See Answer - School Contents

Updates and Guides on Schools, jobs, Academic programmes and Admissions.

Can I Serve at NYSC After NCE Programme? See Answer

You Can Proceed to B.Ed In Order To Serve after NCE
NYSC logo
Who won't know that NCE holders are not going for NYSC? This is a question someone with background knowledge on Nigeria education will be asking - stumbling a post like this.

If we're sincere, very many admission seekers - especially those who want to consider offers for National Certificate in Education (NCE) programmes are not sure if they will serve after NYSC.

The answer to this question is straightforward. And it's just NO, you won't serve after NCE.

Yet, this doesn't mean you won't serve at NYSC at all in life. If after NCE you decide to serve, you have other things to add. And below are what you must know upfront.

Why You Won't Serve at NYSC With NCE

NCE is a three-year course in any college of education in Nigeria. It's equivalent to OND, IJMB, JUPEB, NABTEB Advanced Level or Cambridge Advance Level programmes. These programmes are generally the first phase of a degree award or HND. Therefore, they're not equivalent to BSC and HND yet.

Having said that, only HND and BSC holders are allowed to serve at NYSC in Nigeria. In other words, you must be a graduate of a university or polytechnic (at Higher National Diploma level) before being mobilized.

You Can Proceed to B.Ed In Order To Serve

As earlier said, with NCE, you're just as an ND or a JUPEB holder. Just as OND holders are required to obtain JAMB direct entry forms if they must cross to a university or obtain HND forms if they must proceed to Higher National Diploma, so also you're required to obtain DE form to cross to a university.

You're now aware that you will need a BSC or HND before you can serve. However, you can't continue to HND with NCE. Yet, you're allowed to continue to a university with NCE. If you follow this path, you will be required to spend 3 years more in a university to obtain a degree (usually in education). Then, proceed to NYSC with that.


It's impossible to finish NCE and proceed to NYSC immediately. You can achieve serving if you just cross to a university for additional three-year studies after the college.

To some people, the journey is truly long. Three years at NCE plus three years post-NCE is sincerely longer. Compare that with going to a university with a 4-year education programme, you will want to go for the later.

However, going for NCE will not deprive you of clarion's call - you now understand what to do next.

Best Related Posts

  1. After Completing NCE, What Next? NCE Students Must-Read.
  2. OND Vs NCE: Which One Is Higher? Which One To Go For?
  3. What Are The Differences Between HND and OND?
  4. Can I Use NCE to Seek HND Admission? See Answer
  5. Will I Go for NYSC After School of Nursing? See Answer

No comments:

Post a comment

Be sure you check earlier comments to know if I'd answered a similar question. I won't reply to a repeated question. Your comment will appear after being reviewed by admin. Bookmark the post and check back, please!

Receive Posts by Email

Enter your email and click subscribe:

Then, check your email for a confirmation message. Click the link in the email to complete your subscription.

Delivered by FeedBurner